lundi 3 septembre 2007

Quebec players in the CHL .


Jason Tessier
RiverKings 06-07 season.


I wrote an article for a Quebec based magazine called SportsJuniors.
It was about Quebec players in the CHL this season . 2006-2007 .
For those of you who speak / read French they have a blog.


I got a chance to write about Quebec players that are playing in the Central Hockey
League. The Players I had contact with were intelligent men who know the game they play and love. I would like to thank the PR people from The Tulsa Oilers , Memphis River Kings , Austin Ice Bats .
JF Picard who contacted me by phone is a warm & charming person.He loves the game he plays & plays to the best of his ability. I regret that I can't get his accent on the page.
I sit near the ice during the game. I love to watch the players warm up. They range from the very serious to smiling ,laughing guys. At this league level I don't think
they are thinking about playing in the NHL. But they are playing hockey for a living.
Most seem happy to be doing just this.

Pascal Bedard plays for the Odessa Jackalopes of the Central Hockey League.
He is from St. Jerome PQ. Hockey DB list him as a Montreal native.
He played one year in France in 2003-04
Height: 5'08" Weight :175
He has played for Odessa for 3 years.
He had 23 points in 56 games 2004-05 , 35 points in 64 games in 05-06 , 20 points 48 games so far in 06-07
His team made the playoffs in 2006. He played 11 games . He had 4 g ,3 a .
I didn't get to talk to Pascal so I watched as carefully as I could.

He isn't a big guy for a defense man

He seemed to be a very good skater and has good puck handling skills.
He could skate through the crowded zone darting between players like
a Ballerina on skates.

He took the puck from his zone through 4 or 5 of the opposition to pass the puck to his offensive players. He was fast and quickly weaved through the bodies. He returned to the blue line but was ever alert . I had the feeling his goalie was glad he returned to help keep the rush of opponents from swarming the net.

Stats don't always tell the whole story on a good defense man. His team lost 2
of 3 games played in my barn to date. But his over all play was what I would call good.

I enjoyed watching him play.

Jean-Francois Picard He is from St. Remi PQ
He is 6 foot tall , weight 215
He plays defense for the Austin Ice Bats.
He has played for several different leagues starting from 1997-98 with Victoriaville Tigers in the QJAHL , WCHL , CHL , UHL , LNAH , QSCHL , SPHL and then back to
the CHL again
He had played 47 games for , 7 G , 9 A for 16 points as I write this.
He was very gracious to call me the morning after a game.

How does the CHL compare to the Quebec League you played in?
I only been there a few months. It's totally different. There it was about The Show & mostly the fighting. They have a few goal scorers but like I said it's mostly about The Show. If you don't fight you don't get recgonized. The guys who make the most money are the fighters. For me it wasn't the best experience. For me it was so I could stay close to my family. It's a total different game you can't compare.

The CHL I think it one of the better leagues as far as double "A" leagues.
I won the cup tournament when I played in Laredo. I would like to win another before I hang up my skates.

Jason Tessier
Height 6'1" weight 205 . Plays Defense.
He plays for the Memphis Riverkings of the Central Hockey League.
He has 24 points in 33 games. His team is in first place in their division. They have played 49 games 34 W , 12 L, 3 OTL & have 71 points.
Played from 1997-2000 with Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL
several other leagues in the years to follow. In 2005-06 He played in Italy.
He returned to play in the States this year.
He replied to an email for me and was very nice about replying in open manner.

How did you like playing in the QMJHL?
It was a nice experience. I spent 3 years in Rouyn-Noranda. It a lovely nice hockey town. At the time I was there really feel the town support for the team. It was too
the experience playing hockey and being treated like a professional. One of my
greatest influence was head coach Jean Pronovost. A former NHL player.

How do you like playing in the Central Hockey league?
I love it. All of it. Long travel,but nice places to visit. Nice rinks & we get treated like real pros. The CHL is more for the love of the hockey. We are treated like Pros , but most of us have dropped the dream of playing in the NHL one day. We play because we love the game so much. In the QMJHL , Most of the players only dream about
playing in the show. They do care about their team. But the main goal is to play in the NHL.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

I don't write or speak French, sorry. I met Jason and I have to admit he is a great hockey player and is completely devoted to his team. I wish I could get to meet him again one day, I will definitely be in the lookout if he ever comes to my town to play against our team.

Anonyme a dit…

People should read this.